Hiii!!!
Sister Mitton was trying to come up with words that rhymed with Negril so she could write a song hahaha hence the caption.
Words can't even begin to describe how much I LOVE JAMAICA. I love it more everyday. I feel like I fit right in with all these crazies. Jamaicans are sooo friendly, very bold, and just so sweet! They're also amazing cooks! We go to little cook shops all the time to try out new Jamaican food. The fried chicken, rice, and peas (beans) are to die for. Sister Mitton and I found a chip (fry) place right now the street from us and have eaten french fries wayyy too much this week haha. Other than that, we basically live off of ramen and pb and j's. We have this super delicious guava jelly though so I'm not complaining. I've just come to the conclusion I'm probably going to gain so much weight here. But I'm only here for a year and a half so I might as well enjoy it! We study on the beach sometimes because why not?! IT'S BEAUTIFUL. It does get super distracting when the rastas come and want to talk to us though.
Words can't even begin to describe how much I LOVE JAMAICA. I love it more everyday. I feel like I fit right in with all these crazies. Jamaicans are sooo friendly, very bold, and just so sweet! They're also amazing cooks! We go to little cook shops all the time to try out new Jamaican food. The fried chicken, rice, and peas (beans) are to die for. Sister Mitton and I found a chip (fry) place right now the street from us and have eaten french fries wayyy too much this week haha. Other than that, we basically live off of ramen and pb and j's. We have this super delicious guava jelly though so I'm not complaining. I've just come to the conclusion I'm probably going to gain so much weight here. But I'm only here for a year and a half so I might as well enjoy it! We study on the beach sometimes because why not?! IT'S BEAUTIFUL. It does get super distracting when the rastas come and want to talk to us though.
We drove to Zone Conference this week which was like a 4 hour drive. The logistics for this mission are insane. We're always driving all over the island. The driving here is WILD. They drive on the left side of the road and the right side of the car. The traffic laws are definitely just suggestions, but it's a controlled chaos. Zone Conference was so good, but was cut short because the water in the building wasn't working. We learned about recognizing and understanding the Spirit. We can ask of God to receive revelation. As we align our will with Heavenly Father's we will be praying for things that He wants us to pray for. We should always have the Spirit with us when we pray so that we're not asking for selfish things, but for things the Lord wants for us. Then it requires action on our part.
We also talked about repentance and conversion. It all starts with inviting people to do things. We can't progress without action on both ends. As we invite others to come unto Christ, we are inviting them to repent and become converted unto the Lord. It's their choice whether or not to accept it.
We had a super fun drive back to Negril with the Sister Training Leaders. We jammed to some Jamaican missionary songs. Driving through different towns of people is so fun because everyone yells at us and is so friendly! The garbage man asked if Sister Jacobs he could marry her so she quickly switched her ring to her ring finger to tell him that she was taken hahah. Jamaicans are crazy.
We have started teaching so many awesome people this week! I'm still so amazed at how much everyone knows and loves God and Jesus Christ. They take every opportunity to talk about them. We met this cute lady that owns a boutique below our apartment. She calls us her grandkids and tells us to come back every day. We help her in her store sometimes and she LOVES to listen to us talk about the Bible and the Book of Mormon.
Another lady we just started teaching really wants to get baptized but she wants to make sure she's doing everything right before she gets baptized. She's on date for December 8th and we can't wait to continue seeing her change for the better!
Church was so good this week! Also, go look at the Mormon Newsroom article on Negril, Jamaica!!! I'm so so happy I get to be part of this amazing work. Elder Day (our district leader) conducted Sacrament because the Sav La Mar branch president couldn't make it. We had another testimony meeting and I was blown away by how strong these people are. They know this gospel is true and they are working so hard to share it with others. One thing I wish I did better at home is member missionary work! Missionaries are just supposed to help the members do the missionary work. These members are already doing that and it makes the biggest difference! The cute little kids have the sweetest, simplest testimonies too. Little Chrisianna was too scared to share her testimony but she whispered it in my ear and it was the cutest thing ever.
I'VE BEEN A MISSIONARY FOR A MONTH! Holy cow it has flown by. I love being a missionary more than anything! Jamaica is my favorite!!!! These people are so prepared to hear the gospel.
Funny Jamaican tings:
-They always cover their heads with towels or bandanas to cover themselves from the sun or rain. They're all terrified of rain, it's so funny.
-Everyone loves to jam to music allll the time. People carry speakers with them and will just play music everywhere for everyone to hear. We get to jam to Bob Marley all the time haha. It's the best!
FRIES FOR FRYDAY!
District dinner and game night!
Cute Dextra and Sister Mitchell.
The BIGGEST Bob Barley head. It's a wood carving! They truly worship him here hahah.
The church is true. I love you all!
Love,
Sister Allen
Comments
Post a Comment