JAMAICA IS A DREAM

Wagwhan(no clue how to spell anything in Patwa) everyone!!

First off, JAMAICA IS ABSOLUTELY MY FAVORITE PLACE EVER!!! I was assigned to Negril, which all the other missionaries were very jealous about because this is a vacation spot and it's stunning! Seriously I feel like I'm dreaming it's so beautiful. The branch here shut down a few years ago and they haven't had sister missionaries here since. So Sister Mitton and I get to start fresh and build the branch!!! We had Sacrament meeting at the McKnight's under a tent. It was by far the best experience of my life to date. The McKnight's are members and they are the cutest family ever. They have the cutest children in the world!!!! All my black baby dreams are coming true haha. Chrisianna is the 6 year old girl who likes to play with my hair and draw me pictures and tell me all about her teddy bears and I am so obsessed with her hahah. She's so adorable! Anyway...Sacrament meeting was fast and testimony meeting. The testimonies hared were so amazing! There is a cute 19 year old girl named Dextra who shared her testimony and said that she felt prompted to go to a cafe one day and she was offered a new job. The job meant that she would be able to have days off and she said she knew that's what Heavenly Father wanted her to do so she could come out and teach with the missionaries (Sister Mitton and I). She is about to turn in her papers and she's seriously incredible! There were so many testimonies on how they knew that one day they will have a church building and one little girl said one day Jamaica will have a temple. It was the most touching Sacrament meeting EVER. These people are so so strong! The night before Sacrament meeting we went to the McKnight's to weed the yard and help clean everything up. Then we went early the next morning to unload brand new chairs, selected hymn books, and the tent. I got to label the chairs and the hymn books so my mark will forever be in Negril. I can't wait to help build the branch and eventually get a church building to meet in! 

Jamaicans are the best! They live in the most humble conditions, yet they are so sooo happy! It's such a relaxed place haha. Most people sit around doing nothing all day and everyone loves to talk to the missionaries, which makes it so nice for us! We've been proposed to A LOT hahaha. Every male in Jamaica wants to talk to the white girls so that makes finding people way easier! It's insane how many males have said "I'll get baptized if you marry me." Hahah nice try but we like to get baptized before marriage in this church. Jamaicans crack me up. We're called "whiteys" "sweetie" and "baby" far too often haha. It's impossible to ever feel bad about yourself as a white girl in Jamaica. 
I seriously love Sister Mitton! She's taught me so so much and we've have a fun time laughing at all the wild Jamaicans here. She's from Idaho and she's been here for 6 months. We're actually in a driving area here and we have A/C in our apartment! We're living the good life here in Negril. We have ants that have taken over our whole apartment haha but we'll get rid of them eventually. I think I counted 24 mosquito bites on my hands, arms, and legs and it's not even rainy season yet! There are bugs everywhere haha. Sometimes our water runs out and we have to climb to the top of our apartment and refill it. I didn't realize how amazing America is until I got to Jamaica. Never ever take it for granted! I absolutely LOVE it here though. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. On the bright side I've become surprisingly low maintenance now hahah. It is so hot and humid here. We usually are just dripping in sweat the second we step outside, but we are so blessed to have a car to drive around in. Speaking of driving, the driving here is WILD. The lines on the road are just suggestions. There are taxis, buses, cars, and motorcycles all over the place, but it just feels like controlled chaos haha. We're safe, don't worry. 
My mission president, President Parker is the coolest person ever. He served in the army for 25 years so he is incredibly protective of the sister missionaries. Sisters aren't allowed to serve in Kingston and a few other areas because they're too dangerous. And we have to be in by 6 before it gets dark so I feel extremely safe here. 
This gospel is so so true no matter where you are in the world. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love every single person so much. There are people looking for truth so go out and share it with others! I am so blessed to be serving in Jamaica. I love it here! 

Patwa Lessons of the week:
picknee - children 
ush - sorry 
chuh - dang it/whoops/a million other things 
likkle - little 
aaand they don't pronounce h ever 

I love you all so much! Thank you for your emails! I'm so sorry I don't have time to reply to them, but keep emailing please. 

Love, 
Sister Allen 

Sister Mitton!!!

Chrisianna! The cutest 6 year old! 

Beautiful Jamaica!

Comments