Hello!
This week was so good! We had a few days where no one wanted to talk to us, which was sad, but then we had so many good days that made up for it! We went looking for a ton of less actives but Jamaican addresses are a funny joke. The addresses section on our member list consists of "The house across the street from the green shop" or "the house in the middle of the Y in White Hall." Jamaican directions are just as clear. YIKES. We struggled this week, but in our adventure trying to find one of our less actives we ended up at a super nice rastas home. Rastas believe in some Ethiopian god and there basic beliefs are smoking weed and being "one" with everyone. They are truly some of the NICEST people I've ever met though. Anyway, this super nice rasta lady was for sure not the less active we were looking for but they had the same name. It was too late to turn back now though since we had taken all this time to find her so we talked with this nice lady for a while. She gave us a tour of her humble abode and showed us all the things she's knitted. Sister Mitton has bug bights all over her legs so they grabbed some Gwaco (probs not how you spell that), which is a plant here that supposedly heals mosquito bites. They started rubbing it on her legs and it was just about the funniest thing in the world to watch. Then she broke open some giant nut thing that had almonds in it and she kept feeding us almonds. I'm still mad I didn't get a picture with them because it was the most Jamaican thing I've done since being on this island. Sister Mitton and I have been laughing about it ever since. We left a Book of Mormon with them and hopefully some day they'll change their minds. For now we have some awesome Rasta friends haha! We met with a bunch of less actives and 2 came to church on Sunday so we were very happy about that. One cute lady, Sister Baker, is the sweetest! We went to visit her and she seemed really sad. She's in a wheelchair, her son died in a shooting a while ago, and she doesn't have much. We asked her how she was doing and she said "I'm giving thanks for being alive." That's pretty much every Jamaicans answer and I LOVE IT. Everyone here is so grateful for just being alive. They love God and they know that God has given them everything. It's been very humbling. Yesterday right after church it started pouring! In Jamaica it doesn't rain, it POURS! We had to wait under the tent for about an hour with all of our cute church friends until it stopped so we could pack everything up and take it back to our apartments. Sunday's are a day full of setting up and taking down church, but it's the best. I'm so so glad I get to be part of building this branch in Negril. It's the coolest experience. The members are so excited to help build it up and some day get a building. I gave the cute little kids CTR rings on Sunday and they were so excited. It was adorable. Jamaica kind of reminds me of Australia sometimes. All the kids wear school uniforms to school. Sister Mitton and I eat Cadbury chocolate and Milo at least once a week. They call math maths. I love it so much! We met with our President Parker on Sunday and he had previously come from meeting with Elder Christoffersen in Puerto Rico. He said that the work needs to progress faster, specifically in Negril. How cool is that?! So we came up with the idea to do a Book of Mormon stand this week. We're going to stand in the middle of Negril with free water bottles and tell them about the Book of Mormon for 2 minutes and then they get a free water bottle. We'll see how it goes! Our goal is to talk to 210 people! I'm so excited!!! I read a quote this week that I LOVED so here it is... "The Lord's way is not hard. Life is hard, not the gospel...Life is hard for all of us, but life is also simple. We only have two choices. We can either follow the Lord and be endowed with His power and have peace, light, strength, knowledge, confidence, love, and joy, or we can go some other way, and go it alone - without His support, without His power, without guidance, in darkness, turmoil, doubt, grief, and despair. And I ask, which way is easier?" -Elder Lawrence CorbridgeI love this gospel. I love my Savior. Being a missionary is the greatest thing on planet Earth. I love you all! Keep emailing me and tell me about your cute lives :)
Love, Sister Allen
This week was so good! We had a few days where no one wanted to talk to us, which was sad, but then we had so many good days that made up for it! We went looking for a ton of less actives but Jamaican addresses are a funny joke. The addresses section on our member list consists of "The house across the street from the green shop" or "the house in the middle of the Y in White Hall." Jamaican directions are just as clear. YIKES. We struggled this week, but in our adventure trying to find one of our less actives we ended up at a super nice rastas home. Rastas believe in some Ethiopian god and there basic beliefs are smoking weed and being "one" with everyone. They are truly some of the NICEST people I've ever met though. Anyway, this super nice rasta lady was for sure not the less active we were looking for but they had the same name. It was too late to turn back now though since we had taken all this time to find her so we talked with this nice lady for a while. She gave us a tour of her humble abode and showed us all the things she's knitted. Sister Mitton has bug bights all over her legs so they grabbed some Gwaco (probs not how you spell that), which is a plant here that supposedly heals mosquito bites. They started rubbing it on her legs and it was just about the funniest thing in the world to watch. Then she broke open some giant nut thing that had almonds in it and she kept feeding us almonds. I'm still mad I didn't get a picture with them because it was the most Jamaican thing I've done since being on this island. Sister Mitton and I have been laughing about it ever since. We left a Book of Mormon with them and hopefully some day they'll change their minds. For now we have some awesome Rasta friends haha! We met with a bunch of less actives and 2 came to church on Sunday so we were very happy about that. One cute lady, Sister Baker, is the sweetest! We went to visit her and she seemed really sad. She's in a wheelchair, her son died in a shooting a while ago, and she doesn't have much. We asked her how she was doing and she said "I'm giving thanks for being alive." That's pretty much every Jamaicans answer and I LOVE IT. Everyone here is so grateful for just being alive. They love God and they know that God has given them everything. It's been very humbling. Yesterday right after church it started pouring! In Jamaica it doesn't rain, it POURS! We had to wait under the tent for about an hour with all of our cute church friends until it stopped so we could pack everything up and take it back to our apartments. Sunday's are a day full of setting up and taking down church, but it's the best. I'm so so glad I get to be part of building this branch in Negril. It's the coolest experience. The members are so excited to help build it up and some day get a building. I gave the cute little kids CTR rings on Sunday and they were so excited. It was adorable. Jamaica kind of reminds me of Australia sometimes. All the kids wear school uniforms to school. Sister Mitton and I eat Cadbury chocolate and Milo at least once a week. They call math maths. I love it so much! We met with our President Parker on Sunday and he had previously come from meeting with Elder Christoffersen in Puerto Rico. He said that the work needs to progress faster, specifically in Negril. How cool is that?! So we came up with the idea to do a Book of Mormon stand this week. We're going to stand in the middle of Negril with free water bottles and tell them about the Book of Mormon for 2 minutes and then they get a free water bottle. We'll see how it goes! Our goal is to talk to 210 people! I'm so excited!!! I read a quote this week that I LOVED so here it is... "The Lord's way is not hard. Life is hard, not the gospel...Life is hard for all of us, but life is also simple. We only have two choices. We can either follow the Lord and be endowed with His power and have peace, light, strength, knowledge, confidence, love, and joy, or we can go some other way, and go it alone - without His support, without His power, without guidance, in darkness, turmoil, doubt, grief, and despair. And I ask, which way is easier?" -Elder Lawrence CorbridgeI love this gospel. I love my Savior. Being a missionary is the greatest thing on planet Earth. I love you all! Keep emailing me and tell me about your cute lives :)
Love, Sister Allen
Comments
Post a Comment